Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Doing is Better than Being

This has been a busy week so far and its only Wednesday!

We have been running and doing every minute of the last week. Mr. Awesome has worked late, the kids are adjusting to the new school year, I have been getting back into the swing of ... well, everything. I am juggling homework, school meetings, volunteering, working, writing, gymnastics, girl guides, curling, doctor's appointments, reading (for work), reading (for fun) and all the millions of other little things that come up in the daily life of a mom. On top of all this we are in the home stretch of our Random Acts of Service Challenge so we have all been busy crafting, painting and planning for our fundraiser this weekend.

Frankly, I'm exhausted and its only Wednesday, only September, only the second week of school!

In the midst of all this I had the opportunity to help someone who needed it today. I was in the right place, at the right time and I was asked to help out someone who is new in our town. To be honest, when I was first asked my mind flashed through the 8 million things I have to do before Saturday and I hesitated for a second. I still had to go shopping for the pancake breakfast, prep for more painting tonight, buy frames for our art work, prep for tomorrow's project, make a banner for the fundraiser and the list goes on and on. I'm too busy!

I'm too busy helping people to ... help people? Seriously?!

I shoved the list to the back of my mind and agreed to help ... and it was the best part of my day. I still have a lot of stuff to get done to help the kids in Africa, the kids in the hospitals and their families but taking the time to help one real person face to face, to hear her story and see her relief that someone cared enough to show up made my day. It reminded me that in all those busy moments of trying to do good I can't lose sight of the importance of actually doing good.

Being good is commendable, but only when it is combined with doing good is it useful. ~Author Unknown

No comments: