Wednesday, September 7, 2011

And There it Was ... Gone

Summer, that is.

Just two short months ago I was staring into the abyss of summer vacation and now its over. I have been annoying the kids for days now with my humming, dancing and general giddiness over the start of the new school year. They are sick of their new school supplies, indoor shoes and first day of school outfits and they haven't even used any of it yet! I can't help it ... I love this time of the year!

I have to admit that there is a bit of false bravado in all my joy, though. As happy as I am to get back into a routine and have a little more time to myself I will miss those lazy days of summer ... well, some of them at least (I will not miss the hot ones!). I loved our sleep ins, movie marathons, backyard antics and late nights around the bonfire. I will miss having my buddies around to keep me company, make me laugh and make me stop and enjoy life a little more. I know I'll be a little lonely but it'll be a good kind of lonely.

 As of this afternoon all of the kids have been to school, met their teachers and dropped off their school supplies. Each one approached these transition days with a very different attitude from the others. Mischief was excited to be with all his pals again. His whole class is moving to grade two together, same teacher, same friends, new classroom; all the good and none of the bad, as he said this morning.

Crafty was a little more cautious. She has a new teacher and only a couple of her pals from last year are in her class this year. I expected her to be a little pessimistic when I picked her up at the end of her day but she wasn't. She was excited about her teacher and for some of the new things that will be happening this year.

Dude was less than thrilled about the end of summer and the beginning of the school year. He declared that his transition meeting was "so not worth putting proper pants on for" and grumbled about how he didn't get to do anything fun this summer. Don't get the wrong idea, the kid really likes his teacher, is looking forward to seeing his pals and doesn't mind the idea of learning ... he just wishes he could do all of that from the comfort of his bedroom or better yet, poolside.

Whatever their feelings about the school year are right now I know this for sure, they are all growing and changing so fast. I marvel at the people they are becoming and I celebrate the confidence and independence they are attaining. I also celebrate the school doors closing behind them tomorrow morning at 9 am!

Labor Day is a glorious holiday because your child will be going back to school the next day. It would have been called Independence Day, but that name was already taken.
~Bill Dodds

No comments: