Friday, April 13, 2012

An End of An Era

Today our 19 month Hair Saga has come to an end. In the fall of 2010, Dude decided to let his already unruly locks keep growing; his plan was to grow out his hair and donate it to make a wig for a kid in need. As I've written before, this has been a bumpy road for him but he has always held fast to his conviction that he was doing the right thing; he was growing extra hair for some kid who couldn't grow any hair at all.

This morning, fighting waves of nervous nausea, Dude entered his school to face the clippers. I was worried for him; I was concerned that nerves would get the better of him and he'd feel overwhelmed and back out. I was worried that we had planned this big assembly and that none of the kids would care. It turns out all my worry was for nothing. As I walked down the hallway with Dude his friends and classmates started calling out his name, some chanting for him, many high-fiving him and a few girls were brave enough to approach him and touch his luscious locks for one last time.

The kids at the assmbley


"Dude, you're a rock star!" I said, in awe. He shrugged and said, "Y'know how it is."

 Before The Big Cut, I took a before picture of Dude and his pal, Colton (the other brave soul who was donating his locks today), gave them both a high five and wished them well. Within half an hour this two hippy boys were transformed into two hip young men, to the hoots and applause of their classmates. Aside from donating their hair the boys, and their school, raised well over one thousand dollars for Angel Hair for Kids.

Once the assembly was over, Dude walked us to the doors to say good bye. We told him how proud we are of him and what an example he is. He looked down the hall, watching his friends move into their next classes, and laughed.

"I did this. This whole thing today was because I had the idea that I could give my hair away. It was just an idea!"

"It was an idea you shared and from that idea other people were inspired to help out too ... that's how people change the world and make a difference," I said.

"That's cool and it wasn't even that hard to do!" he smiled, said good-bye and headed down the hall to his class. I stood there for a second and marvelled at this young man who I have the privilege to raise and the amazing friends he has surrounding him and cheering him on.

These boys are rock stars and heroes, they are compassionate souls and inspirations, they are magnificent. I am so proud of them and their friends for understanding that one kid with a head of hair, a pocket full of coins and a caring heart can make a real difference.

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~Edward Everett Hale

2 comments:

Anita Rex said...

Wow that is amazing! I had no idea that was his reason for growing his hair! I can't believe how much younger he looks with it short!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Dude! You are an up-and-coming Mr. Awesome III