Monday, May 23, 2011

The Why

As a mom, I am asked questions that begin with the word 'why' about a thousand times a day. "Why can't I run along the top of the six foot fence?" "Why do I have to eat that?" "Why is there such a thing as gravity?" Why. why, why?! A million times over the big 'W' comes my way, and what's more, many of these questions are asked first thing in the morning (pre-coffeejuice), when I am in the middle of another task or at bed time, when I am intellectually spent. No matter when the question is asked, we all know that "because" is never a good enough answer.

So today I am turning the tables on those hyper curious wee ones. Today it is my turn to ask the kids a few questions. Today is the day that I get to challenge their knowledge of the universe, their understanding life and beg them for an explanation for the unexplainable. Today I ask, "Why?"

~Why is it that when I ask you if you have homework on Friday evening the answer is 'no' but Monday morning you are in a panic to finish three worksheets are read two books before school starts?

~Why do you beg for time away from your siblings because they are bothering you and then whine that you are bored when you are alone?

~Why is the only time you remember to flush the toilet is when I am in the shower?

~Why was Sloppy Joes your favourite dinner last week but tonight you refuse to eat it?

~Why are you 'so good' at your friend's house but drive me to madness as soon as you get home from the play date?

~Why do you freak out you see a cell bug in the basement but walk around with a jar full of spiders, moths and worms you 'collected' from the garden?

~Why do you sleep in on school days but wake up at 6am on the weekend?

Why?

******************************

On a side not I have entered this blog in a Top 25 blog contest over at Circle of Moms and I'm asking each of my readers to take a second to pop on over to Circle of Moms and vote for this blog everyday when you are done reading. Just follow the link and click vote!

Thanks, pals!

No comments: