Friday, May 20, 2011

Fiction Friday - Dust of 100 Dogs

I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to review this one but I have to tell you I'm ashamed of myself for keeping this one under wraps for so long!

I first picked Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King up a little more than a year ago. It was the buzz of my writer's group and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I got about 50 pages in before the book was stolen from me.

One night while I was reading in bed Mr. Awesome read the back cover, asked me if it was really as good as it sounded and when I said, 'better' he yanked the book from me. That's the last I saw of it for a while.

When I finally got a chance to sit down with this unique tale of pirate treasure, curses and regular teenage angst I was thrilled at the wit, charm and humor that King threaded through the entire store. It captivated me from the first!

The story is about an infamous seventeenth century pirate who is cursed to live a hundred dog life's before she can return to human form. The catch is she remembers every minute of each of her 101 lives, dog and human. When she finally is granted a human life after nearly 300 years as a dog, she cannot wait to pick up where she left off, in hot pursuit of her pirate treasure.

Toted as a young adult book, this is the perfect read for anyone with a sense of humor and a passion for adventure. Its fast paced action mixed with notes on life from a dog's perspective and the unique commentary of a three hundred year old teenager is the perfect balance in this new twist on the old pirate story.

Be sure to add Dust of 100 Dogs by AS King to your summer read list this year!

No comments: