Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday Brunch

When I was a kid we used to get up early on Sunday mornings, my mom would braid and ribbon my hair and then dress me up in something frilly and floral, then we would all pile into the car and head to church. After church we would descend on Mr. Steak or Bonanza with our friends for Sunday Brunch. At the kids table the girls would colour and giggle to each other while the boys schemed pranks and imagined ploys to steal the waitresses tips.

While us kids were chatting and playing every now and then we would hear snippets of conversation from the adults table. Amid all the laughter and friendly conversation there was always an undertone of depth and purpose as they discussed the minister's sermon and other biblical matters. Once everyone had been fed, physically and spiritually, we would all head home to lazy afternoons of naps and televised sports before heading back to church for the evening service. That was my childhood Sunday.

Nowadays our Sundays are often rushed affairs of church, a quick bite with the folks and the long drive back home before the chaos of the week starts. I miss those lazy, contemplative Sundays. In the hustle and the bustle of the weekly grind it is easy to forget the value of faith and meditating on things higher than laundry, soccer practice and homework agendas.

Although I often write about the humour and trials of raising three busy kids, my faith is never far from the surface of my thoughts. I know that it is only by the grace of God and knowing His purpose for my life that I am able to not only cope with life but conquer the challenges that daily come my way. I know that if I was living this life on my own, with no hope of help from a loving God I would have gone mad or given in to the overwhelming, crushing pressure of my reality. It is really the concrete knowledge of Jesus Christ that sustains me; knowing His peace and joy and light and love gives me all I need to hold my head up and keep pushing on.

It is with this in mind that from time to time I'm going to pop in and invite you to join me for a Sunday Brunch, a time of talk, reflection and thanksgiving. I hope that those of you of faith, searching for faith or who are of no particular faith belief will feel comfortable and welcomed at my table. Sunday Brunch is a place for friends and laughter, conversation and reflection, hope and encouragement ... and all are welcome!

No comments: