Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Things They Say

Despite the mayhem and moments of frustration, having the kids home for the past couple of months has been pretty entertaining. Chatting with them or listening to their conversations with each other has provided us with hours of comedic relief. Here are a few snippets from our summer together ...

Mischief - What is Romeo and Juliet about anyway?
Dude - Its a high school play that some guy in Europe or China wrote. Its about these two people who like each other and then they die. The moral is that if you get a girlfriend it might kill you, so be careful.

Mischief - I just drank a big glass of milk, wanna see me do a handstand?
Random One - Ah, I think you might want to let that milk settle before you start doing tricks.
Mischief - Right, I might puke if I do tricks now (pause) Hey, mom ... wanna see me puke upside down?

After seeing me answer the door in ratty yoga pants and a pilly sweater...
Crafty - Ugh! You answered the door like that?!
Random One - Yeah, so?
Crafty - You look like a hobo!
Random One - If I was a hobo I wouldn't have a door to answer.
Crafty - Yes, you would, it would just be made of cardboard or something.

Mischief, upon meeting my cousin's baby - So this is the new little dude? He's kind of cute, once you get to know him.

Dude - That was sarcasm? Hmph, I thought I knew what sarcasm sounded like. Interesting.
Crafty - Duh!
Dude - Now, that was sarcasm!

Mischief - We can't go back to the dentist for maybe like two years.
Mr. Awesome - Why?
Mischief - Because I promised the dentist that I would stop sucking my thumb by the next time I see him.
Mr. Awesome - And?
Mischief - I don't think I'll be ready to give it up for another couple of years and I'll feel bad to break my promise so we can't go back.

Children seldom misquote. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said. ~Author Unknown


No comments: