Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I totally get that Staples commercial. You know the one with the parents dancing through the aisle of the store, loading the cart with school supplies while singing that old Christmas classic but with a twist.

I love back to school - and not only for the reasons you think. Sure, I'm looking forward to a clean house and a little peace and quiet but that's not the only thing I'm looking forward to ... I love everything about back to school. Always have. I love shopping for school supplies and picking out a new outfit for the first day of school. I love the pre-school haircut, the new 'indoor' shoes, the new back pack and the fresh lunch kit. I love the anticipation of seeing old friends and making new ones. I love walking into the classroom for the first time, organizing my new desk, seeing where my spot in the classroom is ...

Oh wait ... I'm not the one going back to school.

Anyway, I love back to school ... especially labelling school supplies! I love seeing all the brand new markers and pencils and glue sticks laid out beside the stack of unopened loose leaf and fresh binders and unmarked scribblers. Oh Hilroy, you are everything good and stationary in this season!!!

Um, excuse me ... I seem to be getting a little carried away.

This afternoon, while the kids are desperately clinging to the last dregs of their summer holidays I will be surrounding myself with stacks and stacks of school supplies; labelling, sorting and organising. I will pack backpacks and hang up all the new first day of school outfits, all the while humming my favourite September song!


If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylums would be filled with mothers.
~Edgar W. Howe

No comments: