Monday, December 20, 2010

About 10 Years Early

Mischief is a lot like his dad. He is funny, charming and quite witty. He is a very good natured kid and very accepting of others. He is supremely confident and a lot of fun to hang out with.

But like I said, he is a lot like his dad.

Knowing and accepting this I have prepared myself for broken bones, stitches, calls from the principal’s office and all types of teenage shenanigans. He is adventurous and fearless and a little irreverent. Everything seems like a good idea and is worth a try. He is friendly, social and is up for a party any time of the day or night.

All this past week Mischief was under the weather. He had a hacking cough and a raging fever and as he came in and out of consciousness the only question he had was, “Mama, will I be all better in time for the party on Saturday?”

The kids had been looking forward to the holiday party we were hosting for our neighbors and Mischief’s greatest fear was being too sick to participate in the festivities. Finally on Thursday night Mischief’s fever broke and by the time our friends arrived the little guy was back to his old self.
He ate treats, played, ran around and enjoyed himself immensely. It was after midnight when I finally caught up with him and got him into bed. Sunday was a lazy day of couch cuddles, clean-up and crafts. Although he was exhausted he was still sporting his ‘post-party’ glow.

That night, as I was tucking him in bed, he tried pulling the ‘sick’ card on me. He said he was too sick to go to school today and he needed a few more days to stay at home with me. He still had a cough but I could tell he was trying to milk the situation. We talked back and forth about the validity of his request for a few minutes, with him trying to his very six-year-old best to charm me into seeing things his way.

Finally, in an effort to put an end to the conversation I found myself saying a sentence that, although I had expected to have to say one day to this kid, had not planned to have to say for at least ten more years,

“Listen, if you are well enough to stay up until midnight partying with your pals on Saturday night, you are well enough to get your butt out of bed and go to school on Monday morning!”

Please tell me this is not a sign of things to come!

No comments: