Monday, May 7, 2012

Here's to the Girls who Love the Boys!

This weekend I threw on a wig and strapped on some high heels and partied with my family. It was my cousin's wedding on Saturday but we were celebrating more than his marriage; on the B-side we have a lot to celebrate and be thankful for these days.

The kids were very excited for this swanky shindig; the boys got suits and Crafty got a new dress. Mr. Awesome dusted off his dress clothes and a borrowed a dress from a cousin. To tell the truth, I felt a bit like a drag queen as I got ready on Saturday. I hardly ever dress up and I NEVER get this dressed up so I felt a little conspicuous with the wig, sequenced heels, party dress and custom made fascinator but in the end it was a lot of fun.

We spent the evening visiting with family, teasing, laughing and telling stories. The groom looked dashing in his tuxedo and the bride was glowing. My aunt and uncle were all smiles as they celebrated with their son and showed off their new baby granddaughter. My dad was the recipient of dozens of hugs and my uncles looked at him with joy filled relief all evening and my cousins hardly left his side. We celebrated new starts, new life, new hope and the bliss of being together.

One of my favourite things about the B-side is how much the guys love each other. Uncles, cousins, nephews, fathers and sons and grandfathers all hugging on each other, loving on each other; it's amazing! They just can't get enough of each other and every time they're all together we take dozens of pictures of them; most of them goofy candids!


On Saturday night, as we gathered the boys together to snap a couple of pictures I got a little misty-eyed, seeing them all together, laughing and proud to be together. The picture is fabulous but not half as fabulous as what you can't see; the B-side women, lined up snapping photos like a group of crazed paparazzi. These women, these incredible, strong, loving women are the strength of this family.

In the movie 300 there is a line about Spartan men being the strong warriors they are because they come from and are supported by Spartan women. On Saturday night, standing with all the other B-side women I felt a little bit Spartan. These men, my dad, uncles and cousins, are wonderful men, in part, because of the women who love them, who have loved them their whole lives.

My grandmother was an incredibly strong woman, my aunts are forces of nature and I can see this strength and confidence in my girl cousins and in the women my boy cousins love. Even The New Girl has it already, the ability to love these guys through their flaws while bringing out the very best of who they are. I have never seen my Groom Cousin so happy, relaxed and content.

So here's to the girls who love the boys as they are. Here's to Grandma, Auntie Marie, Auntie Anne, Auntie Vickie, Auntie Debbie, Auntie Eileen, Auntie Leonie, Auntie Joanne, Auntie Dawn, Kim, Milka, Barrett, Helena, Paulette, Laura, Evelyn, Genelle, Rebecca and all the rest of use B-side girls. Here's to us and here's to the men we love!

A woman should soften but not weaken a man. ~Sigmund Freud

No comments: