Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lessons from the 36th Year

So, today is the day. Today I get a port installed and start chemo and today is also the day I say good-bye to 35 and hello to 36. Today is the epoch of Nicorama 2012. Today is the day.

As I busied myself last night with preparations for spending my birthday in the hospital I thought long and hard about what I was going to write today. I wanted today's post to reflect my year, my journey and all the good things yet to come. My contemplations brought back a flood of memories and lessons learned during my thirty-sixth year on the planet and I figure that there is no better way to honour this year of growth than to share some of the highlights and moments of wisdom gained during this past year.

I have learned that I am stronger, smarter and more resilient than I thought.

I have learned that no matter what life throws at us or what dumb mistakes we make, Mr. Awesome and I are a team. We're tight. We love each other and always have each other's back. We are friends first and live in a bubble of forgiveness, respect and kindness toward one another. We. Are. Awesome.

I have learned the power of celebrating life everyday in all of its quirky wonder. Each moment is a gift and each day brings something to be thankful for. Even when the circumstances suck there is reason to celebrate because "it came to pass" and I don't have to stay under the gloom of unfortunate happenings.

I have learned that my kids hear me and see me. Even when I am sure that they aren't getting the things we are trying to teach them they are ... they just chose when they are ready to reveal their Yoda Wisdom.

I have learned that there are more people who are for you than against you and that even people who seem like they are against you aren't really, they just don't understand you. People are waiting for opportunities to help, to get involved and to feel as though they have contributed to a solution. Sometimes the greater blessing is to allow others to help you rather than muscling through life on your own.

I have learned that new friends, old friends, facebook friends and friends of friends have one thing in common ... they are all friends and friends are an incredible thing to have.

I have learned that circumstances are circumstances. They are neither good or bad. Your attitude frames circumstances and gives them the attribute of being either good or bad. And for the record, good is easier to deal with than bad. A bad attitude is draining, a total joy suck and helps nothing.

I have learned that they are called inspirational quotes for a reason. Words have power. They can lift your spirits, encourage your heart and give you the strength to keep on fighting. Words, the right words, are awesome!

I have learned that coffeejuice, peanut m&ms and hazelnuts were put on this planet for me to love. I have learned that people smile at you more when you were a fascinator, therefore I shall wear one more often. I have learned that fuzzy Christmas socks are the key to happiness and no one really hates snow because snow has the magic quality of making everything seem new and fresh and clean.

I have learned that laughing is better than crying but that crying isn't that bad after all. I have learned that no matter how defected my body is, its still mine and I must take care of it because it will be with me for the duration. I have learned that love and acceptance and encouragement is the strength of who we are and that everyone is waiting for the opportunity to be more than they are right now.

Finally, I have learned that I am blessed beyond measure because of you, my friends, family, readers ... because of my people. Your words of encouragement, notes of appreciation and shared stories of life survival fill me with joy and add to my sense of purpose. You are magnificent!

I am looking forward to many, many more lessons and many, many more years to learn them!

Thank you!

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~Elwyn Brooks White

No comments: