Friday, January 13, 2012

Known

We have another Star of the Week in our house. This time its Crafty's turn. She spent a couple of days working on a poster and filling out a worksheet all about herself. Her answers made me laugh, "I like pizza because its delicious," "My favourite book is Ivy & Bean because those girls are something else," "My favourite movie is Soul Surfer because it has a good message and her bathing suits were cute." Priceless!

I giggled through the whole thing, especially once Crafty sat down with me and added her two cents about every question. I laughed right up to the last question. The last one stopped me cold and my laughter almost turned to tears; not sad tears but the proud mama tears.

Question: What do you want people to know about you? Answer: I want to be known for respecting people. I've seen other kids' posters and the usual answers to this question have something to do with a sport they play or a favourite toy but my girl wants people to know that she is trying to be a good person. Seriously!

Once I got over my mama moment I began to think about the question; What do you want to be known for? I remember being asked that question when I was a teen. Our youth pastor's wife was leading a Bible study on Proverbs 31 and she asked us to pick a trait that we would like to be known for and work towards becoming that. I chose 'delightful'. Completely unattainable. I have come to realise that I am far too sarcastic and quick witted to be delightful but I've got other things going for me.

I want to be known for being compassionate, accepting and respectful. I want to be known for my kindness, for being helpful and a team player. I want to be known for thinking of others before myself, being truthful and trustworthy. I want to be known for being a person of faith, not religious. I want to be known for being genuine, hopeful and encouraging. I want to be known for living every day the best way possible and never wasting a moment or an opportunity to experience life. I want to be known for making a moment, a party, the world better just because I was there.

I want to be known for really living ... what about you?

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me." ~Erma Bombeck

No comments: